Hidden Variable Studios is looking to hire a full-time Backend Engineer with immediate availability.
We’re a small, experienced studio of independent developers with four titles under our belt - Bag It!, Tic Tactics, Threes!, and Skullgirls Mobile. All have launched to critical acclaim, app store features, and more than 25 million downloads worldwide. You can read more about our team here.
It’s an exciting time to join Hidden Variable, as we’re currently developing new and exciting projects across multiple platforms. Are you interested in building fun and innovative games with a focus on playful, social connectivity? If so, you’ve come to the right place!
We’re not just looking for a warm body - we need a wildly talented individual with creativity, enthusiasm, and passion to create exceptional experiences for our players.
- Qualified - 3-4 years experience or equivalent level of competency.
- Code Proficient - Strong programming skills that enable you tackle a multitude of challenges beyond server code.
- Backend Ninja - Experience with building scalable RESTful backends with database backing.
- Launch Cred - Experience deploying containerized applications to cloud services.
- Reliability Wizard - Experience deploying and maintaining production “infrastructure as code.”
- Multiplayer - Desire to collaborate on a diverse team to accomplish more than you could on your own.
- Self Starter - Eager to operate independently and forge your own trail when necessary.
- Communicator - Able to effectively get your point across through spoken words, text, and Slack GIFs.
- Experience developing applications with Java 8, Play, and sbt.
- Experience with MongoDB.
- Familiarity with Docker or AWS Elastic Container Service.
- Familiarity with deploying AWS infrastructure with Terraform.
- Experience implementing developer-facing web tools using AngularJS or similar.
- Experience with TCP, UDP, or WebSockets in C++ or C#.
- Experience in server-side programming, specifically for F2P mobile games.
- Experience with Unity and C# for game development.
- Experience with synchronous gameplay networking, peer-to-peer networking, or server-authoritative networking.
- Guide ongoing development, maintenance, optimization, scaling, and support of backend systems and database infrastructure on live products with hundreds of thousands of users.
- Architect, document, implement, test, debug, and maintain backend code in Java 8 using Play Framework.
- Profile backend code and MongoDB database query efficiency to improve backend performance and scalability.
- Guide backend implementation of new gameplay features, including adding REST API endpoints, adding new database queries and indexes, improving security features, and deploying new application infrastructure.
- Improve developer live ops tools, written in AngularJS.
- Provide input on backend workflows including application container deployment, infrastructure monitoring, application performance monitoring, and frameworks/tools.
- Coordinate with an infrastructure monitoring contractor to improve infrastructure and resolve issues in live environments.
- Support technical excellence in all your tasks.
- Respond to critical feedback in a professional and timely manner.
- Prototype and iterate rapidly in conjunction with other members of the development team.
- Provide input and insight to the development team in the implementation of new gameplay features.
How do you apply?
If you’re interested in this position, and you meet the requirements outlined above, please reach out!
The interview process for this position will include a written engineering test. Reference checks will be conducted. You must be qualified to work in the United States.
Ready to apply? Please send us an email with your resume, portfolio (if applicable), and a cover letter to the position you are applying for to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We read every submission received and try to reply in a timely manner. So get to it! We can’t wait to hear from you.