Hidden Variable Studios is looking to hire a full-time Engineer with immediate availability. If you're reading this, that could be you!
A little bit about us — we’re a small, experienced team of independent developers in Los Angeles, CA (read the juicy details here). Our hit titles — Bag It!, Tic Tactics, Threes!, Skullgirls 2nd Encore, and Skullgirls Mobile — have all launched to critical acclaim and app store features. In fact, they've been downloaded more than 30 million times to date.
It’s an exciting time to join Hidden Variable, as we’re on the cusp of major, exciting updates to our titles and are exploring new, original content as well. Interested in being part of a team that's building fun, varied, and innovative games from the ground up? You’ve come to the right place!
At Hidden Variable, we’re looking for wildly talented individuals eager to put their creativity, enthusiasm, and passion to work. It’s that passion that helps us turn the mundane into the incredible and the average into the extraordinary. Come help us continue to make that dream a reality.
This position is located on site at our Los Angeles office. However, in light of the pandemic, all our team members are currently working remote. When it becomes safe to do so, we will return to the office. US citizenship or a valid visa is required to apply.
The ideal candidate will reflect each of these key qualities:
- Swiss Army Programmer - You possess strong foundational computer science skills that enable you to do everything from UI to game mechanics to profiling.
- Jedi Mind - You are a Unity ninja and are proficient in C# on desktop, iOS, and Android platforms.
- Sage - Solutions to problems often lurk beneath the surface, but you are wise enough (and determined enough) to think critically about what you are developing.
- Evangelist - You have informed opinions about what’s fun and exciting in games because you play them all the time, especially the mobile ones.
- Crackerjack - Skills don’t grow on trees. They are developed. You know what you know, but more importantly, you know what you need to learn.
- Conversationalist - You can have a conversation. You know, with other people.
So, you know how to do a lot of stuff, but what do we expect from you?
- Architect, document, implement, test, debug, and maintain code for iOS, Android, and other platforms.
- Write robust, maintainable code with consideration to economy, elegance, and modularity.
- Support technical excellence in whatever you do.
- Respond to critical feedback in a professional and can-do manner.
- Prototype and iterate rapidly in conjunction with other members of the development team.
- Provide input and insight to the development team in the implementation of new gameplay features.
- Maintain an unyielding fascination with video games.
There are a lot of great reasons to work at Hidden Variable! Some of the highlights include:
- Unlimited PTO Policy - When it comes to sick and vacation days, we don’t believe in tracking the hours our employees work or don’t work. If you need to take time off — be it for date night, a vacation, or even just a personal wellness day — we support you. We go out of our way to create a guilt-free office environment. Our goal is simply to create incredible products, which we believe is best achieved when you don’t have a manager looming over your shoulder, tracking the minutes you are in or out.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans - We offer a generous yearly stipend, and have several premium plans available from major health care providers. Already have medical coverage? Keep the stipend as an end of year bonus.
- Matching 401k - Send a portion of your salary towards retirement, and we’ll match a certain amount. Free money!
- Career Growth - Developing the skills and training to advance in one's career is a shared responsibility. To that end, we frequently compensate for travel to conferences, fund tuition through online or in-person learning, and even reimburse game expenses (mobile or otherwise) to allow our teammates to maximize their full potential.
- Frequent Celebrations - We work hard, but we like to let off steam, too. You’ll find us playing board games, video games, trivia, and even the occasional field trip to an escape room or other attraction around the city, all courtesy of Hidden Variable.
We believe diverse backgrounds and life experiences enable us to collectively build better and more inclusive games. We encourage applications from candidates from any background who are eager to celebrate their unique perspective.
How To Apply?
Hopefully, by the time you’ve scrolled this far, you’ve realized that we value high quality products and people who are passionate about what they do for a living.
Ready to apply? Please send us an email with your resume, a cover letter, and if applicable, a portfolio. List the position you’re applying for in the subject line and send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org. We can’t wait to hear from you!