Hidden Variable Studios is looking to hire a full-time F2P Designer with immediate availability. If you're reading this, that could be you!
A little bit about us — we’re a small, experienced team of independent developers in Los Angeles, CA (read the juicy details here). Our hit titles — Bag It!, Tic Tactics, Threes!, Skullgirls 2nd Encore, and Skullgirls Mobile — have all launched to critical acclaim and app store features. In fact, they've been downloaded more than 30 million times to date.
It’s an exciting time to join Hidden Variable, as we’re on the cusp of major, exciting updates to our titles and are exploring new, original content as well. Interested in being part of a team that's building fun, varied, and innovative games from the ground up? You’ve come to the right place!
At Hidden Variable, we’re looking for wildly talented individuals eager to put their creativity, enthusiasm, and passion to work. It’s that passion that helps us turn the mundane into the incredible and the average into the extraordinary. Come help us continue to make that dream a reality.
This position is located on site at our Los Angeles office. However, in light of the pandemic, all our team members are currently working remote. When it becomes safe to do so, we will return to the office. US citizenship or a valid visa is required to apply.
Hidden Variable is looking for a Designer to support our F2P economy, systems, and live operations, as we continue to refine the core experience and build new features within Skullgirls Mobile and beyond. Your analysis, insight, and creativity will help create in-game experiences which engage, surprise, and delight players. You will work with interdisciplinary teams using every tool at hand to the delight of millions of players around the world.
The ideal candidate will reflect each of these key qualities:
- Mobile Savant - You are keenly aware of trends in mobile games and play all the latest, greatest F2P games on phone or tablet... especially the ones made by Hidden Variable!
- F2P Fanatic - In the fast changing world of F2P games, you know the latest trends and tactics that can turn the mediocre into the meteoric. You can speak to popular F2P titles and know what makes them tick.
- Smooth Operator - When a game launches, the work has only just begun. You know how to maximize engagement with liveops, to satisfy the ongoing needs of players, month after month.
- Bootstrapper - As a highly motivated individual, you are able to excel in a fast paced environment, either autonomously or collaboratively.
- Hybrid Class - You possess a strong technical and theoretical background and are able to conceive solutions to complex problems, evangelize those solutions to the team, and then figure out the most optimal way to execute on them.
- Raconteur - You are a clear, multidisciplinary communicator who enjoys engaging in creative discourse with all members of the team. You are as adept receiving feedback as you are in delivering it.
- Wellspring - You are a fount of new ideas. You can discover solutions conceptually through rapid prototyping and are able to clearly convey a vision to those around you.
- Metrics Minded - You are comfortable using data to identify opportunities to improve the health of a game. You understand the relevant audiences, and from this, calibrate your design expertise to reflect those tastes.
Extras we hope to see in the most competitive candidates:
- Mobile Wrangler - This isn't your first rodeo. In addition to having F2P design experience, you also have reps working on mobile games specifically.
- Polymath - You have an insatiable hunger in a wide spectrum of topics, which equips you with the tools to provide inspired ideas and solutions, no matter the challenge.
- Agile Enthusiast - You have prior exposure with Agile development practices and are no stranger to backlogs and Scrum.
- Unity Veteran - You have familiarity using the Unity platform and know your way around the editor and its subcomponents.
So, you know how to do a lot of stuff, but what do we expect from you?
- Architect, document, implement, and test features built for iOS, Android, desktop, and console platforms.
- Support excellence in whatever you do.
- Respond to critical feedback in a professional and can-do manner.
- Prototype and iterate rapidly in conjunction with other members of the development team.
- Provide input and insight to the development team in the design and implementation of new gameplay features.
- Maintain an unyielding fascination with video games.
There are a lot of great reasons to work at Hidden Variable! Some of the highlights include:
- Unlimited PTO Policy - When it comes to sick and vacation days, we don’t believe in tracking the hours our employees work or don’t work. If you need to take time off — be it for date night, a vacation, or even just a personal wellness day — we support you. We go out of our way to create a guilt-free office environment. Our goal is simply to create incredible products, which we believe is best achieved when you don’t have a manager looming over your shoulder, tracking the minutes you are in or out.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans - We offer a generous yearly stipend, and have several premium plans available from major health care providers. Already have medical coverage? Keep the stipend as an end of year bonus.
- Matching 401k - Send a portion of your salary towards retirement, and we’ll match a certain amount. Free money!
- Career Growth - Developing the skills and training to advance in one's career is a shared responsibility. To that end, we frequently compensate for travel to conferences, fund tuition through online or in-person learning, and even reimburse game expenses (mobile or otherwise) to allow our teammates to maximize their full potential.
- Frequent Celebrations - We work hard, but we like to let off steam, too. You’ll find us playing board games, video games, trivia, and even the occasional field trip to an escape room or other attraction around the city, all courtesy of Hidden Variable.
We believe diverse backgrounds and life experiences enable us to collectively build better and more inclusive games. We encourage applications from candidates from any background who are eager to celebrate their unique perspective.
How To Apply?
Hopefully, by the time you’ve scrolled this far, you’ve realized that we value high quality products and people who are passionate about what they do for a living.
Ready to apply? Please send us an email with your resume, a cover letter, and if applicable, a portfolio. List the position you’re applying for in the subject line and send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org. We can’t wait to hear from you!