Hidden Variable Studios is looking to hire a full-time Producer with immediate availability. If you're reading this, that could be you!
A little bit about us — we’re a small, experienced team of independent developers in Los Angeles, CA (read the juicy details here). Our hit titles — Bag It!, Tic Tactics, Threes!, Skullgirls 2nd Encore, and Skullgirls Mobile — have all launched to critical acclaim and app store features. In fact, they've been downloaded more than 30 million times to date.
It’s an exciting time to join Hidden Variable, as we’re on the cusp of major, exciting updates to our titles and are exploring new, original content as well. Interested in being part of a team that's building fun, varied, and innovative games from the ground up? You’ve come to the right place!
At Hidden Variable, we’re looking for wildly talented individuals eager to put their creativity, enthusiasm, and passion to work. It’s that passion that helps us turn the mundane into the incredible and the average into the extraordinary. Come help us continue to make that dream a reality.
This position is located on site at our Los Angeles office. However, in light of the pandemic, all our team members are currently working remote. When it becomes safe to do so, we will return to the office. US citizenship or a valid visa is required to apply.
The Hidden Variable Producer is responsible for guiding and supporting our in-house development teams, from prototypes and test features all the way to staging and worldwide release. While maintaining communication across the studio, the Producer will give and facilitate feedback on what’s in progress while planning ahead for the next sprint or release. By being proactive, organized, and resourceful, the Producer will also serve as a liaison between the team and external partners, such as IP holders, social influencers, localizers, and QA teams.
The ideal candidate will reflect each of these key qualities:
- Mobile Savvy - You are keenly aware of trends in mobile games, and play all the latest, greatest free-to-play and premium games, on phone and/or tablet. Especially the ones made by HVS!
- Scrum Enthusiast - You know all about sprints, backlogs, and well written product backlog items. You are ready to shepherd the team from planning to review, maximizing completion and uptime. You can make a burndown chart just as easily as you can organize a team retrospective.
- Swiss Army Knife - You are able to wear many hats and provide the team with everything they need, be it advice, direction, feedback, or encouragement. You know that being a Producer means being equal part leader, counselor, scribe, playtester, and analyst.
- Communicator - You can express your findings clearly and concisely, formulating compelling arguments for product roadmaps and strategy. You are able to effectively get your point across to the dev team through spoken words, text, and the occasional Slack GIF.
Extras we hope to see in the most competitive candidates:
- Visual Communicator - You are comfortable putting ideas and images together into clean and compelling decks.
- Metrics Minded - You are familiar with the art and science of numbers (especially as they relate to health and performance of an ongoing F2P GaaS). You can discern patterns, analyze data, and draw conclusions.
- Localizer - You speak 12 languages... or, at least, know how to organize the words from 12 languages into a spreadsheet.
So, you know how to do a lot of stuff, but what do we expect from you?
- Lead production efforts in an agile environment to support the team and maximize efficiency.
- Communicate consistently with the team to ensure that they are able to work collaboratively and with minimal disruptions.
- Identify and mitigate risks across departments or disciplines.
- Track feedback from both the team and our customers, using the data to improve our product and processes.
- Work with external vendors or contractors to ensure that high-quality deliverables are received in a timely manner.
- Promote a positive and purposeful work environment for all team members.
There are a lot of great reasons to work at Hidden Variable! Some of the highlights include:
- Unlimited PTO Policy - When it comes to sick and vacation days, we don’t believe in tracking the hours our employees work or don’t work. If you need to take time off — be it for date night, a vacation, or even just a personal wellness day — we support you. We go out of our way to create a guilt-free office environment. Our goal is simply to create incredible products, which we believe is best achieved when you don’t have a manager looming over your shoulder, tracking the minutes you are in or out.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans - We offer a generous yearly stipend, and have several premium plans available from major health care providers. Already have medical coverage? Keep the stipend as an end of year bonus.
- Matching 401k - Send a portion of your salary towards retirement, and we’ll match a certain amount. Free money!
- Career Growth - Developing the skills and training to advance in one's career is a shared responsibility. To that end, we frequently compensate for travel to conferences, fund tuition through online or in-person learning, and even reimburse game expenses (mobile or otherwise) to allow our teammates to maximize their full potential.
- Frequent Celebrations - We work hard, but we like to let off steam, too. You’ll find us playing board games, video games, trivia, and even the occasional field trip to an escape room or other attraction around the city, all courtesy of Hidden Variable.
Below is the base salary range that HVS expects to pay applicants for this role in California. Salary offered will vary depending on experience, skill, and location.
We believe diverse backgrounds and life experiences enable us to collectively build better and more inclusive games. We encourage applications from candidates from any background who are eager to celebrate their unique perspective.
How To Apply?
Hopefully, by the time you’ve scrolled this far, you’ve realized that we value high quality products and people who are passionate about what they do for a living.
Ready to apply? Please send us an email with your resume, a cover letter, and if applicable, a portfolio. List the position you’re applying for in the subject line and send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org. We can’t wait to hear from you!