Hidden Variable Studios is looking to hire a full-time Senior Engineer with immediate availability. That's you!
A little bit about us — we’re a small, experienced team of independent developers in Los Angeles, CA (read the juicy details here). Our hit titles — Bag It!, Tic Tactics, Threes!, and Skullgirls Mobile — have all launched to critical acclaim and app store features. In fact, they've been downloaded more than 25 million times to date.
It’s an exciting time to join Hidden Variable, as we’re on the cusp of major, exciting updates to Skullgirls Mobile and are exploring new, original content as well. Interested in building fun, varied, and innovative games from the ground up? You’ve come to the right place!
At Hidden Variable, we’re looking for wildly talented individuals eager to put their creativity, enthusiasm, and passion to work. It’s that passion that helps us turn the mundane into the incredible and the average into the extraordinary. Come help us continue to make that dream a reality.
This position is located on-site at our Los Angeles office. However, in light of the pandemic, all our team members are currently working remote. When it becomes safe to do so, we will return to the office. US citizenship or a valid visa is required to apply.
The ideal candidate will reflect each of these key qualities:
- Swiss Army Programmer - You possess strong foundational computer science skills that enable you to do everything from UI to game mechanics to profiling.
- Grizzled Vet - You have significant game development experience. You’ve shipped games or maintained live games, and you understand SaaS and know how to deliver excellent code, on-time.
- Unity Warrior - You’re an expert in Unity and C# on iOS, Android, and desktop platforms.
- Full Stack - You have experience working with backend systems, such as RESTful APIs, cloud application servers, and databases.
- Sage - Solutions to problems often lurk beneath the surface, but you are wise enough (and determined enough) to think critically about what you are developing.
- Crackerjack - Skills don’t grow on trees. They are developed. You know what you know, but more importantly, you know what you need to learn.
- Evangelist - You have informed opinions about what’s fun and exciting in games because you play them all the time, especially the mobile ones.
- Conversationalist - You can have a conversation. You know, with other people.
So, you know how to do a lot of stuff, but what do we expect from you?
- Gather requirements and architect technical solutions based on internal designs.
- Write, test, debug, optimize, and maintain high quality code in C#, Java, C++, and other languages, as needed.
- Implement features in Unity and other frameworks for a variety of platforms (iOS, Android, and Windows/Mac/Linux).
- Prototype and iterate rapidly with other members of the development team.
- Provide input and insight in the implementation of new gameplay features.
- Guide and inspire other engineers with your exceptional work product.
- Support technical excellence in whatever you do.
- Maintain an unyielding fascination with video games.
There are a lot of great reasons to work at Hidden Variable! Some of the highlights include:
- Unlimited PTO Policy - When it comes to sick and vacation days, we don’t believe in tracking the hours our employees work or don’t work. If you need to take time off — be it for date night, a vacation, or even just a personal wellness day — we support you. We go out of our way to create a guilt-free office environment. Our goal is simply to create incredible products, which we believe is best achieved when you don’t have a manager looming over your shoulder, tracking the minutes you are in or out.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans - We offer a generous yearly stipend, and have several premium plans available from major health care providers. Already have medical coverage? Keep the stipend as an end of year bonus.
- Matching 401k - Send a portion of your salary towards retirement, and we’ll match a certain amount. Free money!
- Well Stocked Kitchen - Healthy snacks, not-as-healthy (but arguably tastier) snacks, and beverages are supplied to keep you going throughout the day (when we all eventually return to the office).
- Frequent Celebrations - We work hard, but we like to let off steam, too. You’ll find us playing board games, video games, trivia, and even the occasional field trip to an escape room or other attraction around the city, all courtesy of Hidden Variable.
We believe diverse backgrounds and life experiences enable us to collectively build better and more inclusive games. We encourage applications from candidates from any background who are eager to celebrate their unique perspective.
How To Apply?
Hopefully, by the time you’ve scrolled this far, you’ve realized that we value high quality products and people who are passionate about what they do for a living.
Ready to apply? Please send us an email with your resume, a cover letter, and if applicable, a portfolio. List the position you’re applying for in the subject line and send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org. We can’t wait to hear from you!