Hidden Variable Studios is looking to hire a full-time UI/UX Artist with immediate availability. If you're reading this, that could be you!
A little bit about us — we’re a small, experienced team of independent developers in Los Angeles, CA (read the juicy details here). Our hit titles — Bag It!, Tic Tactics, Threes!, Skullgirls 2nd Encore, and Skullgirls Mobile — have all launched to critical acclaim and app store features. In fact, they've been downloaded more than 30 million times to date.
It’s an exciting time to join Hidden Variable, as we’re on the cusp of major, exciting updates to our titles and are exploring new, original content as well. Interested in being part of a team that's building fun, varied, and innovative games from the ground up? You’ve come to the right place!
At Hidden Variable, we’re looking for wildly talented individuals eager to put their creativity, enthusiasm, and passion to work. It’s that passion that helps us turn the mundane into the incredible and the average into the extraordinary. Come help us continue to make that dream a reality.
This position is located on site at our Los Angeles office. However, in light of the pandemic, all our team members are currently working remote. When it becomes safe to do so, we will return to the office. US citizenship or a valid visa is required to apply.
The ideal candidate will reflect each of these key qualities:
- UX Guru - You are able to create intuitive interfaces from complex systems and have expert knowledge of usability principles.
- Precisionist - You build your work with attention to detail and visual consistency. Your output is highly organized and labeled.
- Artisan - You possess top-tier aesthetic sensibilities and ninja-level Photoshop skills, allowing you to illustrate stunning icons, frames, borders, and other UI assets.
- Mobile Savant - You understand the unique challenges of building assets for a range of devices, aspect ratios, and hardware configurations. You are able to translate your beautiful concepts into practical, lightweight assets.
- Interface Geek - You have a special love for fonts, iconography, visual hierarchy, and tone. You know how to push the boundaries because you have your finger on the pulse of the UI/UX world.
- Ambassador - You have the ability to clearly communicate ideas both verbally and visually. You can give and receive feedback with equanimity, style, and grace.
- Gamer - You are aware of trends in the market’s top games, especially the F2P mobile ones.
- Completionist - You have experience shipping a Unity or Unreal game, and perhaps a F2P title as well.
- CC Native - You also have excellent Illustrator skills. You might even have VFX and motion graphics experience, using After Effects or similar.
- Scrum Veteran - You have experience with Agile development and know the ins and outs of the sprint process.
So, you know how to do a lot of stuff, but what do we expect from you? At Hidden Variable, you will:
- Develop dynamic, elegant, and intuitive UI for new and existing games.
- Draft UX guidelines to ensure a consistent visual language.
- Mock up UX flowcharts, wireframes, and other artifacts to effectively communicate your ideas to other departments.
- Collaborate with the art director and game designers to maximize clarity, design goals, and style integrity.
- Iterate with engineers to build and optimize your vision using Unity or Unreal.
- Dive deeply with respect to implementing interface screens, iconography, and transitions.
There are a lot of great reasons to work at Hidden Variable! Some of the highlights include:
- Unlimited PTO Policy - When it comes to sick and vacation days, we don’t believe in tracking the hours our employees work or don’t work. If you need to take time off — be it for date night, a vacation, or even just a personal wellness day — we support you. We go out of our way to create a guilt-free office environment. Our goal is simply to create incredible products, which we believe is best achieved when you don’t have a manager looming over your shoulder, tracking the minutes you are in or out.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans - We offer a generous yearly stipend, and have several premium plans available from major health care providers. Already have medical coverage? Keep the stipend as an end of year bonus.
- Matching 401k - Send a portion of your salary towards retirement, and we’ll match a certain amount. Free money!
- Career Growth - Developing the skills and training to advance in one's career is a shared responsibility. To that end, we frequently compensate for travel to conferences, fund tuition through online or in-person learning, and even reimburse game expenses (mobile or otherwise) to allow our teammates to maximize their full potential.
- Frequent Celebrations - We work hard, but we like to let off steam, too. You’ll find us playing board games, video games, trivia, and even the occasional field trip to an escape room or other attraction around the city, all courtesy of Hidden Variable.
We believe diverse backgrounds and life experiences enable us to collectively build better and more inclusive games. We encourage applications from candidates from any background who are eager to celebrate their unique perspective.
How To Apply?
Hopefully, by the time you’ve scrolled this far, you’ve realized that we value high quality products and people who are passionate about what they do for a living.
Ready to apply? Send us an email containing the following requirements: your resume, a cover letter, and a link to your UI art portfolio. Make sure to list the position in the subject line and send the email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We can’t wait to hear from you!